Your life has just changed in an instance once you hear these three words. The life you had and those in it, family, friends and colleagues as well will feel the impact. It was important for me before the shock set in. Before I would be living in whole new world of doctors, testing, treatment and all that comes with cancer, I needed to quickly determine who to tell, how tell and start to build my inner team to help me.
A quick list formed in my mind.
- How am going to tell my 10-year-old son?
- What will this mean for work?
- Who will be able to go with me to my appointments so they can verify what is being said?
- What will the treatment entail and how much will I be able to do while going through?
- What will my recovery time be post treatment?
You can’t prepare for everything but you must as best you can try to understand the core ways that your life will change and how best can you prepare for yourself and your loved ones.